Tips For Finding And Removing Mold In Your Home

Mold is something all homeowners dread finding, and yet something virtually everyone will have to deal with. Mold growth is a common occurrence in bathrooms and other moist areas, but if left unattended it can spread deep into your home and cause many problems. To avoid this, follow these steps to periodically look for and clear out mold in your home.

How to Inspect Your Home for Mold

1. Follow Your Nose. The best thing you can do when searching for mold is to trust your nose. Mold is a fungus, so it emits a stale, unpleasant odor. If certain areas retain a foul smell regardless of light cleaning or ventilation, then you probably have mold.

2. Look for Dark Patches. Discoloration is often a sign of mold growth. This can be seen in dark, spotty patches on walls or carpets, flaking paint, or darkened tile and grout.

3. Watch for Excess Water. Mold needs a damp place to thrive, but its spores will also create more moisture. Increased humidity and condensation can be signs of a mold problem.

How to Remove Mold

If you have molding growing on your pipes or inside walls, it is best to hire a professional, like those at MoldStoppers, to remove the fungus before further house or health damage occurs. But in some instances, a deep clean is all your house really needs. Be sure to wear gloves and a face guard when dealing with large amounts of mold.

  • Removing from tiles, glass, or metal:

Cleaning up harder surfaces such as ceramics and metals is easy and cost-friendly: all you need is a little bleach. The chemicals in bleach will kill the mold and help prevent it from returning. Simply mix bleach and water as directed on the package and spray or sponge the mixture onto the moldy surface. The solution should only be rinsed off if the area is for cooking or easily accessible for kids. Otherwise, the bleach residue will continue keeping the fungus at bay.

  • Removing from carpet or clothes:

Hydrogen peroxide is a great tool for cleaning as it is gentle and non-toxic, but it also kills fungi, bacteria, and viruses. It is also safe to use on cloths, though it is a bleaching agent so bare that in mind. To use, just spray 3% concentration hydrogen peroxide onto effected area, let stand for 10 minutes, and rinse.

Household mold can cause health problems such as sneezing, congestion, skin and throat irritation, and respiratory problems. If you are experiencing any of these, it may be a sign of toxic mold, which should be removed by a professional. 


Share